Re: [MV] 70mph --Stupid?

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:30:25 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Gil Huguley <Gil@huguley.com>
To: ISmith7092@aol.com <ISmith7092@aol.com>; mil-veh@skylee.com
<mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 31 August 1998 14:38
Subject: [MV] 70mph --Stupid?

>Judging from the responses I got, I think I could have used a less
emotional word when I said it was "stupid" to go 80 in an M37, M211,
etc. Chalk it up to poor net etiquette.

>However, I believe it should be noted that while there are modern
100,000 lb trucks rolling down the interstates at 70 (+), that may not
be so smart or safe either. You have to be able to stop and you have to
be able to maneuver. The modern semi truck is designed to travel at
higher speeds.

Gil has made a good point, the large semi trucks here are legally
limited to 56 MPH and demonstrations of actual stopping distances using
a loaded, current production unit with anti-lock brakes is very
educational. (frightening, frankly).

No matter what up-grades are made to the older MV systems its worth
remembering that brakes only ever stop wheels.

Just my 1.212p

Richard
(Southampton UK)