[MV] Re: SPLIT RING WHEEL SAFETY

Gary R. Downing (gwhiz@interoz.com)
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 20:53:57 -0500

>WMesmer@aol.com schrieb:
>>
>>Split Rim wheels. They don't even want to hear the words "Split Rims". =20
>>
>S With a one-piece rim like on
>modern trucks, it is impossible without a machine.
>>

>It is also true, nobody wants to touch a damaged or badly corroded split
>rim. These things are only good for the scrap yard.
>>

>Regards
>Andreas
> =20
>
>SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY
>
>Many years ago, while in the Airforce, I worked on split rim wheels. At
the time the AF used a steel cage to confine these beasts while inflating.
I didn't use the cage (our installation didn't have them). If we had had a
cage I would have been reluctant to use it. You could still lose a hand if
the ring launched off of the rim. Actually, the same was true if the wheel
was flat on the floor. The cage saved lives but cost severe injuries
because it created a false sense of security. As Andreas so rightly said,
these tires could be changed by one or two men. I always did this job
alone and would not want another around to distract me. I've seen others
bent over a split rim wheel while inflating it (and doing that wrong). You
can lose your head that way! Like most risky jobs a split ring
installation can be done with minimal risk if you do it right. Most
accidents with these wheels were caused by boring and repetetive tire jobs
(10 wheels on one deuce?!). We hobby types have no reason to reproduce
that kind of stress. Don't do the job when you are tired. Now hear this:
Split rings are not designed to maim and kill, they are designed to hold
tires onto rims. You need not imbue these devices with malevolent powers.
Sloppy and/or lazy people have created the fear. Minimize risk, do it right.

The only way (almost) that a ring will jump off is during inflation and
after. You have to be nearly blind to get that far. While at atmospheric
pressure the danger is zero. The thing that holds the ring or launches it
is the tire bead being pushed by the tube pressure. This is where you
master the beast or it masters you. Assuming a perfectly sound ring has
been installed, put just enough air in for the bead to just start a firm
pressure on the ring. Lopsided bead pressure is what pushes the ring off of
it's seat. NEVER FILL A TIRE TO FULL PRESSURE in one go! This is where the
person usually buys it. Walk around the horizontal tire and inspect two
things: The concentricity of the ring with it's wheel and the bead/ring
gap. ADD AIR A LITTLE AT A TIME. Continue your circular path around the
assembly inspecting CAREFULLY, these items and checking the split of the
ring with each passage. ALWAYS SQUAT AND HAVE ONLY YOUR INFLATION HAND
OVER THE RING. In a worst case scenario, only your hand will leave. (I'm
right handed...I always inflated with my left.) If at any time, you are
unsure of the concentricities, STOP and walk away. If nothing awesome
happens, remove the valve core and do the whole job over or, if satisfied,
re-install the core and continue.
There is a time for fear and a time to relax. When properly inflated you
can scan the ring joint/rubber seal by inspecting the concentricity of the
tire mold marks with the ring. I've never heard of a split ring failure
except under the conditions described above. Once assembled, the force
that could kill you is now peacefully doing it's job holding the tire bead
to it's home.

Oh yeah, the earlier hedge: (almost) The split ring has the character of a
rather large spring. When it comes off without any air fill it can still
behave like a rattle snake.

I have never had a single incident with split rings....But I'm glad I don't
have to deal with them anymore.

Please accept my apologies for not posting this sooner. It is a serious
safety item and I should have thought of my friends safety sooner.

Regards and be safe, Gary Downing USAF(very retired)