Re: [MV] gages

paul vandervort (pgv@imaxx.net)
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 01:44:26 -0700

Claude & MVer's

If you want to check the gage itself, pull off the connection
at the oil pressure sender & connect the wire to ground. This should cause
the gage to go to full (high) end of the scale. This is also same procedure
to check the temp indicator. For the fuel its just opposite, disconnect the
connector at the fuel sender & gage should go past "full" (same thing on
most cars too), ground it & it will go to "empty". This will allow you to
check the gage, power to the gage, & the wiring up to the sender. ATTENTION:
watch out for those nasty camlock fasteners that mount the M-Series
instrument panels to the dash. They don't always provide a good ground
(which the gage needs also) for the instruments. A good practice is to add a
ground wire, from one of the gage's mounting studs, to point on the body
behind the dash (no one will know its there). I just had a real fun time
with a bad ground at the oil pressure gage on my M38A1. From what Ive had
to work on this is applicable to WWII veh's also (except for mechanical
temp gages). Do these checks with power on.

Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437