RE: [MV] M715 Assessment Help

Robert H. Clugston (robert@csnsys.com)
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 11:57:29 -0700

If it doesn't leak some sort of fluid its either in mint condition or it's
not American ;) I had my transfer case rebuilt recently and the guy did a
GREAT job, but the differentials still leak a little.
The grill you are talking about comes from a J-series truck. It's a common
after market modification. Also, there is a rare Alaskan hard top (or so I
heard) that many people have copies of them.
My spare tire doesn't really mount....I just set it in the bed. The previous
owner for some reason moved the bas tank to where the spare tire is supposed
to mount. I've lost the gas tank once so far off-road.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-Mil-Veh@skylee.com [mailto:owner-Mil-Veh@skylee.com] On Behalf
Of ETIMOTHY1@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 1998 1:18 AM
To: FredStueve@worldnet.att.net
Cc: Mil-Veh@skylee.com
Subject: Re: [MV] M715 Assessment Help

FredStueve@worldnet.att.net writes:

<<
There
has been no
modification to the body at all with the exception
of a small 2.5" hole in the cab, immediately behind the passenger side door
which I suspect is where a antenna was located.

This is an alternate location where the slave cable receptacle was located.
The standard location was on the left front fender.

It is missing the grill panel which should be located immediately in
front of the radiator.

M715's did not come with a grill.

The brush guard is present and in very good shape.
The window rubber is severely cracked and in some places has large pieces
gone and was in places painted over. The weather stripping around the door
edges is severely cracked and has long strips missing.

M715 weather-stripping is often as you describe and it is hard to find NOS.

The plates that
should be located between the floor and bottom of the door are missing.

Not sure what you mean here.

There is no spare tire mount which should be located on the
passenger side of the truck bed.

The spare tire for the M715 was located under the rear of the frame on a
sling
bracket.

The fuel filler tube has minor surface cracking.

Watch this-NOS replacements are available.

DRIVETRAIN: The drivetrain is all original. The rear gearcase seal is
leaking quite visibly as there is a thick coat of gear oil on the lower
half
of the housing.

If you mean the transfer case-they all seem to leak, as do the rear mains on
the 230 engine.

ENGINE: The powerplant is the original Kaiser Jeep 230 Tornado engine which
seems to run well. There might be a little leakage of oil around the oil
pan
seal. It has the original 24 volt power system. The odometer reads 12,900
miles (?).

Mileage sounds right-I have had them with as little as 10,000 miles on them.

FRAME: The frame has no cracks in it and very little velveteen rust on it.
It is straight and has had no modifications done to it. There is no winch
on
the vehicle. The grommets and other rubber products on the underneath of
the
vehicle are in bad condition as they are probably all original products.

I would say the price is too high for what you describe-IF it had a winch it
might be close....but, I have seem 715's in the Pacific NW go for $2500-3500
in the condition you describe. For that kind of money the vehicle should be
pretty darn mint original, in my opinion.

Erik Timothy
Federal Way, WA