Re: [MV] CCKW Ignition troubles

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 07:18:48 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Juan Gonzalez <wwiiimpressions@email.msn.com>
To: Mil-veh@skylee.com <Mil-veh@skylee.com>; coastal@istar.ca
<coastal@istar.ca>
Date: 07 September 1998 06:07
Subject: Re: [MV] CCKW Ignition troubles

>Some people have told me about being off 180 degrees, but I don't
understand
>what this means. I made sure that the #1 cylinder is firing on the
>compression stroke. #1 Top dead center after the intake is closed and
the
>mark on the flywheel is lined up. Rotor is pointing at the right
direction,
>towards #1 contact. Wires are good and in sequence.

Hi,

It means simply that the distributor has been lined up on TDC exhaust
stroke not TDC on the compression stroke, this is one revolution
different at the crank so 1/2 rev, or 180 degrees at the distributor.

It is dead easy to get it wrong after a tiring day re-building the motor
and in the expectancy of getting the engine running, do another check
just in case . . . . !

I've found the finger over No 1 spark plug hole to be infallible, or
more technically use a compression tester, have someone hand-crank the
motor and the moment your finger feels to be pressurised or there's a
reading on the tester the piston has to be coming up on the firing
stroke. Stop there and refer to the timing marks as it will be getting
close to the timing point.

Secondly, if the engine is really tight the starter current drain may be
so large as to drop the battery voltage sufficiently such that no spark
occurs under compression in the cylinders but you may still see one with
a plug out in the block. Just hook up a second battery to the coil
directly for ignition by disconnecting the vehicle's coil feed wire
making sure its out of the way and insulated from ground and using a
flying lead.

With an amount of cranking and your "injection" of fuel the plugs may
now be wet with raw fuel and they wont fire any way until dried
off/cleaned.

It all assumes the camshaft hasn't been disturbed of if so is correctly
re-timed.

Richard
(Southampton UK)