Re: [MV] CCKW Ignition troubles

JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 23:53:42 -0000

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com

----------
> From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan <gwim2@student.open.ac.uk>
>and I was happy that the engine was turning OK,

BOLD, IMPORTANT: ENGINE TURNING OKAY
On a recent truck project, when we went to try and start an engine with a
ground crank and line bored, it acted very stiff. Thinking that this was
just a stiff engine, we took it out to drag it. In the process, we locked
up the wheels several times, and ruined a clutch. After searching for
every possible reason for the engine sticking, we reluctantly turned our
attention to the line bored crank and bearings. All main bearings were
okay, but 2 out of six connecting rod bearing caps had at one point been
filed on their joining surfaces. This really threw us until one of the old
timers in the shop came over to see why we were all shouting "what Idiot."
He looked at them and then gently reminded us that not everybody could run
down to the NAPA store that day to fix the truck, and that this worked well
in the absence of a good machine shop. He also said that those too poor to
afford replacement parts often did this.

RULE OF THUMB: Look for the horses, and then double check to make sure no
zebras are around. This one really threw us for a loop. Sometimes you get
so focused on the process you forget someone else has probably gone through
the same process with a different philosophy.