RE: [MV] STUCK DISTRIBUTOR

Mark Masse (mmasse@islc.net)
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 10:03:35 -0700

Erik,

Is the rotor shaft stuck or is it the housing? I presume it's the rotor
shaft. If it is, you may be able to take the whole timing
cover/distributor/oil pump assembly off and work on it away from the engine
block. The only difficulty may be that you might have to slide the oil pump
drive gear down the crankshaft as you're moving the timing cover forward and
off (you ordinarily need to rotate the distributor shaft as it
meshes/unmeshes with the crankshaft drive gear).

Getting the timing cover off will not free up the distributor, but you'll
have much easier access to it. All in all, the distributor/oil pump drive
shaft is made up of 4 pieces--1) The distributor rotor shaft (runs through
the distributor itself). 2) An extension shaft that goes from the
distributor rotor shaft to the geared drive shaft. The extension shaft
should be held to the distributor rotor drive shaft by a roll pin, and
should engage the geared shaft by fitting into a slot. 3) The geared shaft
which meshes with the drive gear on the crankshaft. This shaft is slotted
to engage and drive the distributor extension shaft and oil pump drive
shaft. 4) the oil pump drive shaft.

Once the timing cover is off, you may be able to remove the oil pump, and
get something on the shaft which will turn it (screw driver or allen wrench,
I'm not sure which). You could also try wrapping the geared shaft with a
cloth and turning it with channel-lock pliers, though I'd do this as a last
resort.

Anyhow, this is the approach I'd take if all else fails. If you do take the
timing cover off, make sure you note the way the oil slinger and drive gear
come off the crankshaft. They will go on in a couple of different ways, but
only one way is right. (Found this out when I installed the drive gear
backwards--Ouch!) Hope this helps.

-Mark