RE: [MV] Importing vehicles from Canada

Nolan, Dennis P (nolandp@aramco.com.sa)
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 06:57:16 +0300

I brought a GPA in from Canada (this was over ten years ago) to the USA. =
Although the data plates were missing from the dashboard, I showed the =
customs man the manual on the vehicle indicating it was made by Ford in =
Detroit, MI, USA and because it was made in the USA no duty was =
required. I believe you have to file some export paperwork on the =
Canadian side, but this is just a formality for the Canadian govt. to =
account for its exports value. Be sure to have the bill of sale or some =
kind of proof of ownership at the time of import that indicates the =
serial number of the vehicle and show them the serial number stamped =
someplace on the vehicle. They will also do an inspection looking for =
contraband items.

Regards, Dennis.

-----Original Message-----
From: MR TIMOTHY R GLANCE [SMTP:TGlance@prodigy.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 1998 3:00 AM
To: mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: [MV] Importing vehicles from Canada

Has anyone brought vehicles into the US from Canada? I have a friend=20
who is considering buying three trucks in Canada, 2 are old MV's and=20
one is a diesel Land Rover Defender. Are there many customs=20
restrictions? Any tariffs/ taxes to be paid? Is it easier to trailer=20
it yourself or have a professional haul it?

Thanks in advance
Tim Glance
43 GPW
44 Navy Bomb Trailer MK IV