Re: [MV] radiator color?

Michael Meister (mike@agen.tamu.edu)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:09:50 -0500 (CDT)

Of the five GPW's I have owned, all of which were produced between Dec.
1942 and April 1943, all five showed evidence of black being the original
paint color. Although five is certianly not a sizable sample of the
population, pseudo-statistically it would seem that
the majority of GPW's (at least a majority of those made in the first
half of 1943) had black radiators. What difference does this make? Well,
I am seeing a trend in the MV restoration field moving toward that of
collector cars. Just as right now it would seem bizarre to restore a 1942
Script with a 2-bolt tire carrier, the difference between 1st and 2nd
place in the near future may be decided on which jeep has the correct
radiator color for its vintage within the production run.

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 GIjeeps@aol.com wrote:
> Slight correction to this posting from my pal Wolfman. I don't think I would
> go so far as to say that GPW radiators were "most commonly" painted OD. I have
> no idea if more were black than OD or vice-versa. I can tell you this, Willys
> didn't paint their radiators OD at the factory so that makes it a
> distinctively Ford detail. So why not make that GPW look like a GPW?

Michael T. Meister '97 "Aim at perfection in everything
Graduate Research Assistant though in most things it is
Department of Agricultural Engineering unattainable; however, they who
Texas A&M University aim at it, and persevere, will
College Station, Texas come much nearer to it than
those whose laziness and
despondency make them give it
http://www.agen.tamu.edu/~mike up as unattainable."
mike@agen.tamu.edu --4th Earl of Chesterfield