Re: Re[2]: [MV] Need NAPA part number for M715 part. ctx, also a

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:39:14 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: wbuonau@tec1.apg.army.mil <wbuonau@tec1.apg.army.mil>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>; Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk
<Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk>
Date: 30 September 1998 16:27
Subject: Re[2]: [MV] Need NAPA part number for M715 part. ctx, also a

Hi,

>One thing that did seem to make a difference was I had to tow a couple
>of M37s last month and to keep my engine knock down. . . . . . . .

Thats not right, if it knocks something is very wrong, like it is trying
to diesel under load owing to a source of pre-ignition, this is very
wasteful of the fuel energy put in and it has to resolve itself as
additional unused heat energy - causing more knocking and a vicious
circle is set up.

>. . . . . . . . I put premium gas 91 to 93
>octane. Much to my surprise the darn thing did not diesel the whole
week. Did
>I burn out all the carbon running it hard? don't know. Thank you for
the other
>tips,

Sort of like QED, the higher (and unnecessary) octane fuel is less prone
to pre-ignition so engine runs cooler and combustion space incandescence
doesn't occur. Unlikely its shifted any carbon just masked the
underlying problem.

Its trying to tell you all is not at all well, if you have to do the
clutch I'd pull the lump as well and attend to that before the clutch
problem suddenly becomes insignificant !

Richard
(Southampton UK)