RE: [MV] M715 Dieseling--One Final Observation

Mark Masse (mmasse@islc.net)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 11:37:13 -0700

> A standard procedure for engines doing what yours is doing, was
> to turn off
> the ignition switch and let up the clutch at the same time with your other
> foot on the brake pedal. Works just fine. Even itty bitty female
> (oops) E2's
> could do it. 1SG PANTANO

This is the method I was using--I just didn't like all the stress and strain
it put on the drivetrain. All the gear backlash is taken up and the whole
thing gets a big jolt before stopping the engine. Often the engine would run
backwards after the ignition was turned off--nothing to time the ignition of
the combustible gasses. It would puff exhaust out of the carburetor and
sound horrible as it was dieseling.

The root cause of the whole mess is tune-up related, in my opinion. If the
fuel/air mixture is good and the ignition system is correct, the whole
combustion process is done with the proper efficiency and hot spots will not
develop in the first place. In other words, if everything is up to factory
specifications, the engine will work as the factory intended it to.

--Mark Masse
1967 Kaiser M715