Re: [MV] Newbie question

Scott Forman (sforman@ixlmemphis.com)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 11:11:06 -0500

Steve:

The M-38 is one of the more difficult Jeeps to restore-since it was only made a
few years, some of the parts are hard to find and many of them are expensive.
If you are not knowledgable about Jeeps and cannot do the work yourself, I
would recommend a different Jeep model as a beginner, perhaps a civilian
model. I am restoring an M38 now and, although I've restored military Jeeps
before, it is taking me much longer and costing more than I had expected.

If quality work was done on your Jeep, it would withstand the 200 mile commute,
but you wouldn't. These things are uncomfortable. They top out at 50-60 mph,
they're loud, they vibrate, they ride awful, and even the best rebuilt Jeep
brakes are less than great for driving in traffic. And, should you happen to
be in an interstate wreck, you will most certainly die. These Jeeps are great
as toys to drive on sunny days, but for a daily driver I would recommend
something else.

Scott
42 MB Slat Grill, 42 Script GPW, 52 M-38, 66 M151A1