Re: [MV] M715 Dieseling--One Final Observation

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 20:00:23 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Masse <mmasse@islc.net>
To: MIL-VEH List <mil-veh-digest@skylee.com>
Date: 11 October 1998 16:34
Subject: RE: [MV] M715 Dieseling--One Final Observation

>> A standard procedure for engines doing what yours is doing, was
>> to turn off
>> the ignition switch and let up the clutch at the same time with your
other
>> foot on the brake pedal. Works just fine. Even itty bitty female
>> (oops) E2's
>> could do it. 1SG PANTANO
>
>This is the method I was using--I just didn't like all the stress and
strain
>it put on the drivetrain. All the gear backlash is taken up and the
whole
>thing gets a big jolt before stopping the engine. Often the engine
would run
>backwards after the ignition was turned off--nothing to time the
ignition of
>the combustible gasses. It would puff exhaust out of the carburetor
and
>sound horrible as it was dieseling.

The drive-train is probably less strained than the engine, but its not
good whatever.

The metallic noises made during dieseling are the pistons being smacked
form one side of the bore to the other by the horribly advanced
detonations that have the power to stop it dead sometimes and start it
backwards as you report, the internal stresses are huge and potentially
damaging under these conditions.

The next step from puffing exhaust from the carb is it sets the whole
lot on fire which you will find is excessively exciting.

>The root cause of the whole mess is tune-up related, in my opinion. If
the
>fuel/air mixture is good and the ignition system is correct, the whole
>combustion process is done with the proper efficiency and hot spots
will not
>develop in the first place. In other words, if everything is up to
factory
>specifications, the engine will work as the factory intended it to.

Absolutely.

I'd have the head off and do it properly, once all the carbon and crud
is cleaned out you will see any sharp projections likely to incandesce,
these can then be rounded off and smoothed down as appropriate.

Richard
(Southampton UK)