Re: [MV] Detroit Diesel 6V53 Problems

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:40:56 +0200

Douglas Greville schrieb:
> My Detroit Diesel 6V53 is behaving badly and I need some help.
>
> Do we have any Diesel mechanics on the list?
>
> Here are the symptoms:
>
> - It idles nicely and runs okay both loaded and in neutral up to
> about 1500 rpm.
> - Above 1500 rpm the exhaust note starts to break up and gets
> progressively worse as the revs are increased. Under load the
> engine lacks power.
> - Condition is getting worse with time.
>
> I do have an algicide in the fuel, but only recently.

Ask a German automotive engineer!

First you should check the injection jets (Hope this is the correct
word). They must be closed until an estimated fuel pressure is there
and they have to spray the fuel in the correct way.

Let this check in a special Diesel workshop. They have little hand=20
pumps. With these handpumps they pump diesel fuel to the jet and=20
let it spray into a glas container. So you can look if the jet
works correct.

If the jets are ok, you must check the injection pump. Therefore=20
you need a special testbed (DM 100,000.- or more a good one) You
must check if each cylinder gets the correct amount of fuel at the
correct time (like the ignition timing point of a petrol engine).

This is a job for a very good special diesel workshop. Hope there
is one in Australia... (I know 1 (one) here, all others can't do=20
that!).

Regards
Andreas