Re: [MV] Detroit Diesel 6V53 Problems

Rod Diery (rod@rocketship.com)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:56:40 +0800

>Ask a German automotive engineer!
>
>First you should check the injection jets (Hope this is the correct
>word). They must be closed until an estimated fuel pressure is there
>and they have to spray the fuel in the correct way.
>
>Let this check in a special Diesel workshop. They have little hand
>pumps. With these handpumps they pump diesel fuel to the jet and
>let it spray into a glas container. So you can look if the jet
>works correct.
>
>If the jets are ok, you must check the injection pump. Therefore
>you need a special testbed (DM 100,000.- or more a good one) You
>must check if each cylinder gets the correct amount of fuel at the
>correct time (like the ignition timing point of a petrol engine).
>
>This is a job for a very good special diesel workshop. Hope there
>is one in Australia... (I know 1 (one) here, all others can't do
>that!).
>
>Regards
>Andreas

Remember that the Detroit / GM 2 stroke diesels such as the 6V53 are fitted
with unit fuel injectors. The fuel pump on these engines is their purely as
a delivery pump. Final injection pressure is created mechanically by the
fuel injector itself. The diagnosis that Andreas describes is pertinent for
a hydraulic type fuel injection system which creates the high pressure for
injection at a separate multiple piston pump such as those built by Bosch
and which are fitted to many different makes of diesel engine.

The point I wish to make here is that diagnosis of the problem in Doug's
6V53 needs to be specific to that engine. I have emailled Doug privately
with some suggestions.

Cheers

Rod Diery (former Australian Army marine engineer and a lover of Detroit 2
stroke diesels)
Kulin, Western Australia