Re: [MV] Exodus jeeps....contd

John Edwards (edwardsj@bigpond.com)
Sun, 18 Oct 98 08:30:16 PDT

Gordon,

Further to your comments....

> the conclusion that the only people that did quantity conversion of
> jeeps from LHD to RHD were the Australians, in part due to pretty
> severe regulations about LHD vehicles in Australia, presumably to stop
> too many imports swamping the native production.

In brief comment form, I have never seen or heard of anyone doing a major=
run
of LHD to RHD conversions on jeeps for the era of "EXODUS". Well not in =
my State anyway.
Could it have been a pommie one-off conversion for the movie ?

Aussie Jeep History - for those that want to read on.

At War's end only three types of vehicles were worth bringing home. One =
was the jeep.
The jeeps that were sold post war circa 1946-1947 were not converted to =
RHD. The most
they ever got were trafficators (manually operated indicators - a pressed=
metal hand was made
to indicate stop & RH turn. Really cute).

Those not sold intact after the War came back as parts, and being of good=
convict stock we
rebuilt the parts into more jeeps, still LHD.

The jeeps that stayed in Army service up to 1963, still were LHD but had =
trafficators.

Even today our jeeps are still LHD. It's the only vehicle in my state, =
that is a privately owned
vehicle that is LHD. Queensland did have some conversions done, but this =
was 60's-70's. Victoria
had some conversions due to Road Regs. South & Western Australia are stil=
l LHD too I believe.

Regards,

John Edwards
42 GPW, 43 MBT & 45 Aust. No4 Ford Trailer
Sydney NSW - Home of the 2000 Olympics (ho hum....)