Re: [MV] Tyre (tire?) pressure stencilling, and unique opportunity

JOHN SEIDTS (JKING@prodigy.net)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 16:45:30 -0000

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com

> Interesting discussion point here.
>
> As far as I know there was NO stencilling of tyre pressures on wings
> (fenders) or dash panels during WW2 on US vehicles, not sure about UK
> stuff. I've never seen a WW2 image with tyre pressures on, the
> practice seems to have become common immediately post-WW2 (lots of
> soldiers with nothing else to do?) Always grates a little when I see a
> 'shiny' jeep or Dodge with TPxx stencilled all over it.

Gordon,
On the dash of one of our carryalls, there is a marking of the tire
pressure. There is also a stencil of "This vehicle cost $1942.00," which I
believe is from WWII, as this practice was common on vehicles purchased by
subscription or bond drive by municipalities. The paint and hand lettering
of both are the same, so I think they were put on the vehicle at the same
time. I have also seen an original GPW with the Lube order pouch spot
welded under the hood and marked with tire pressure by hand painting. I
think that it may have been used more than we are aware of for a few
reasons. First, the paint was the gasoline soluble stuff which very easily
came off with soap and water. Second, the shortage of rubber in the US,
which was most acute in 43 to 44, would have inspired quartermaster
officers to diligently remind commanders about proper preventive
maintenance of tires; for the average Joe, this meant keeping the tire
pressure up, rotating tires, and keeping them clean. In the 29th division
in WWII, the commander was death on washing the vehicles after use. His
own jeep driver, who I have met and talked to, said that some times he had
to wash the jeep 4 or 5 times a day. This would have obliterated any TP
markings.

Definitely worth discussing more.

Unique opportunity. I have had the luck to meet a Batallion Motor Sergeant
who went throught he Pacific in WWII with an Artillery Unit. I spent about
an hour talking with him about his duties and experiences. I am going to
spend more time with him in the future, and am going to try and record an
interview with him. Would anybody be interested in a downloadable audio
program of this interview?

To give you a picture of the discussion so far, he told me about how his
unit used D7 bulldozers as the prime mover for the 8 inch guns- it was the
only thing which would get through the Jungle- he said the GMC's were just
not doing the job. He talked about how he went up to the line one day,
leaving his corporal in charge of the motor pool. They were supposed to be
redoing all the wheel bearings on the trucks. The motor officer came down
to see what was going on, and told everybody to stop using the Emery cloth,
because the book said to use Crocus cloth. Bill said the Crocus cloth
didn't get the rust off, so he got back and only about 1/4 of the trucks
were done. They were embarking the next day, and he really had a row with
the officer.