Re: [MV] Airborne Dodges

John Edwards (edwardsj@bigpond.com)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:02:08 +1100

David,

If you want to parts breakdown for GMC let me know. Somewhere in my files I
had a few picks plus the part list.

Rgds,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: David Robinson <djr@enterprise.powerup.com.au>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Monday, November 23, 1998 10:45 AM
Subject: [MV] Airborne Dodges

Hi List,

Some time ago, I enquired about whether the airborne 3/4-ton Dodge
Weapons Carriers produced in 1944/45 had split chassis like the
larger airborne trucks. The answer apparently is no according to a
WW2 article on the preparation of airborne trucks I recently came
across. The article says the kit for the 3/4-ton contained a valve
and coupling to seal the brake line when the rear axle was removed
and a single wheel pneumatic-tyred loading dolly. It continues:

" No cutting is required except for the removal of a triangular
section of metal from the platform of the driver's seat. Removal of
the rear (axle) assembly, body, running boards and right bumperette
permits this vehicle to be loaded into one airplane."

I assume the cut-out was required to provide the necessary clearance
to negotiate the left turn into the plane. My question is has anyone
ever come across a 3/4-ton Weapons Carrier with such a modification
or even the patched up remnants of such a cut-out or perhaps a tap in
the rear brake line.

Regards,

David Robinson. Brisbane. Australia.