Re: [MV] Insurance/plates in Indiana

Ken (kweiss@wans.net)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 14:18:50 -0600

List,

Here in Texas, one can register his/her military vehicle with military
vehicle plates. This allows for any vehicle regardless of age, size, wheel
configuration, and weight to be street legal. This includes tanks and
half-tracks. As long as it was designed as a military vehicle, for a
military, and of any country. Military Trailers were added in the last
Legislature session and are considered part of the vehicle and don't require
separate license plates. The vehicles are also not issued license plates,
you use your hood number as the license number. If your stopped for some
reason, the police officer would use that number to access any information
needed. The military plates also don't require a state inspection or
liability insurance. If you choose not to have insurance, you must get a
waver for the Department of Public Safety. The wavers are free and must be
notarized. You are still libel for any damages in the case of an accident if
you are to fault. The cost for the plates is $50 per five years and are
pro-ratable as the plates start in April every 5th year (I.E. 93, 98, 03,
etc, etc.) There are some restrictions on use, however, there is quite a
large loophole in the law. You can't advertise for a business, only a club.
You can't use the vehicle for everyday transportation. You can only use the
vehicle for displays, parades, and something to the effect of Public
Interest.(Can't remember the exact wording).

Sorry to be so long winded.

Ken
Lone Star - MVPA
Austin, Texas