Re: RE: [MV] Insurance/plates in Indiana

Sean Bathrick (Bathrick@imcchemicals.com)
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 16:53:29 -0600

The way the Air Force numbers vehicles is as follows:
(year)(Type, ie. General Purpose, Special Purpose, etc.)(vehicle number) =
An example would be on a military type 2.5 ton truck (M-35), 87K 2143, =
cilvilian type 2.5 ton would use a C. Whereas a flightline bus would have =
a code of B (87B 3585). These are all actual vehicles in my unit and all =
are labeled the same way, by reg., from the biggest truck in the inventory =
to a flightline golf cart. I even saw bicycles in strata blue with reg =
numbers on active duty. Evidently a pretty bored maintenance and paint =
shop.

>>> John Hutterer <john.hutterer@deltec.com> 12/01 1:29 PM >>>
Dave,
The numbers on the right side of the front bumper of your five ton dump
indicate that it once belonged to the 264th Group, 426th Engineer =
Battalion,
at least that is the traditional way of identifying what unit a particular
vehicle belonged to. The numbers stenciled on the inside of the doors of
your Air Force flatbed are most likely what are commonly called "USA
Numbers". They are, basically, a specific serial number which was assigned
by the military, and differing from the actual manufacturers serial =
number,
in most cases. There was quite a discussion of USA numbers in this list a
couple of months ago.
John

> ----------
Have
> you ever done this yourself before? I'm just sort of wondering how this
> is
> going to go over at the BMV. The people behind the desks couldn't =
answer
> any of my questions before without finding the proper page in a book.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Dave
>=20
>=20
> Message text written by "R. Dale White"
> >If you have the original army registration number
> on your truck you can use that to register your truck (indiana code
> IC9-18-14). its a one time
> registration and fee, no plates are issued, the registration number is
> used to identify your truck. you can check it out at<
>=20
>=20
> =3D=3DTo unsubscribe from the mil-veh mailing list, send the single word
>=20

=3D=3D=3D