Re: [MV] Need to have something shipped via ocean freight. Any suggestions???

Chief William von Zehle (ChiefvonZehle@wiltonfire.org)
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 14:48:43 -0400

I shipped a fire engine we donated to Senegal a couple of years ago and was
amazed at the amount of paperwork involved! Fortunately for you, a good
part of it had to do with export/import matters which shouldn't apply since
Hawaii is (at least the last I checked!) still part of the good ol' US of
A.

If you're shipping a small vehicle, the best best is to put it in a
container for security and ease of shipping. Larger vehicles have to go as
"deck cargo".

When you get to the dock, make sure all your shipping papers are in order.
(We used a shipping broker to handle the paperwork - it was worth the extra
money.) The vehicle will be inspected and then parked for loading. The
longshoremen take it from there.

It cost us about $7,000 to ship a 12,700 kg (28,000 lb.) fire engine from
New York to Dakar, Senegal (via Amsterdam).

Hope this is of some help.

Bill von Zehle
Ridgefield, CT USA
'53 M42