Re: [MV] M35A Turbo vs Non-turbo

JOHN SEIDTS (JKING@prodigy.net)
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:19:19 -0000

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com

> < I can get as much power out of a non-turbo as a turbo truck. The main
reason these trucks were turboed was for emissions.
> Jeff Symanski
> Tactical Truck>

With all due respect to Jeff, in my experience driving deuces in the
military, the turbo certainly gave you better acceleration, even under
load. I don't know about overall power, but entering moving traffic was
less scary in a turbo than in a regular deuce. The turbos also seem to
have a higher highway speed. I always hated driving down a highway outside
of convoy in one of the old deuces. Maybe they were worn, but they had
trouble getting more than 45 miles per hour. And people would do stupid
things to get out from behind you.

This information is very enlightening. I had always believed that
> the complexity of a turbo was the price to be paid for extra
> power. Naturally if I could have a truck with the same HP and Torque
without a turbo I would buy it.

> Do you have the official figures for the HP and Torque for these engines
with and without turbo? Maybe some other list members could help. I think
this would make an interesting thread for the list.

I would also like to see this.