Re: [MV] M151A2 problems

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:48:34 +0000 (GMT)

Here is what I Have 1971 M151A2 Ford built with G engine
with 38,000 miles The problem; Engine will crank
but will not turn over.
++++++++++++++++++
I need a better description here, just to make sure we're speaking the
same language, does the starter turn the engine at the normal speed,
about 200 rpms, but the engine won't fire?

Friend thinks it sounds like a slow crank but neither he nor I have
any other experience with MV's. Engine will compression start and idle
quite well.
+++++++++++++++++++
I take it that you mean if its pushed or rolled down a hill it will
start? Using high gear, right?

However when we drive it and accelerate under load it will fart and
spit and backfire through the muffler, never the carb. If it stalls
and the engine is hot I can often restart it. After it cools it needs
to be compression started. What I have done. Cleaned and
regappe!
> d plugs to .032. They were very sooty but not wet. Air fuel mixture
adjusted.
++++++++++++++++
This sounds like its running rich, since you set the float I have to
suggest that you check the specific gravity of the float. In '71 they
started making floats out of a black plastic compound that over time
would soak up a small amount of fuel, changing the weight of the float
so setting the float to measured specification would still cause the
engine to run rich, usually it would stall when the brakes were
applied hard. Even if its a brass float this could happen if it
developed a small hole. Change the float for a new one.

It also sounds like the accelerator pump in the carburator isn't
working, but you've checked that. Maybe that's causing it to run so
rich it dies/falters.

Checked for spark by grounding plug to engine
block....OK Voltage at coil 24v
Distributor cap clean no evidence of arcing. Has electronic
ignition Spark plug wires appear OK
Carb rebuilt and float reset to 9/32" and greater than 3/8" drop
( per the Mutt guru) from TM-34-1 1988 update
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Maybe vaccuum leaks?

Fuel line and pump clean and functioning.
Batteries recharged and OK Timing
OK I'm sure that I have two things going on 1.The
starting problem and 2. the rough running under load. I have reached
my limit of knowledge diagnostically. I throw myself on the
collective wisdom of the list........................Thanks Alan
Only other thing I can think of to check is the wiring from the
battery to the starter, its possible to get the proper voltage but not
enough current to run the starter, check all high current contacts and
grounds for clean/tight connections, check the battery cables for
bulges, kinks, or broken conductors. The bulges, on an aluminum
cable, are corrosion eating away the conductor.

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll find something else for you
to get greasy on!

Joe F.