[MV] Original or Repro

Steve Malikoff MV list account (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:22:28 +1100 (EST)

> After 12 years fiddling with trying to go for the perfect restored jeep,
> I finally resolved to ONE verdict. Do what makes YOU happy.

Agree entirely!

> If you want to have fun, screw the repro body because you'll never drive
> off road again for fear of destroying your high dollar hard work. But
> you'll have a nice parade ready vehicle to be proud of.

I'm surprised a little with this, though. We have a number of very, VERY
good MBs, GPWs and GPAs here in Oz that do indeed get used off-road or in
the water (salt water, at that!).
I just came back yesterday from a week camping in a GPW and a nice slatt
grille MB, both at restoration standards I could only hope to achieve. We did
some really nice 4WDing on dusty, muddy tracks ancd covered around 850 miles
on dirt roads. We busted the clutch in the slat-grille about 30km down a 4WD
trail and had to spend New Year's Eve pulling the gearbox and transfer case
out to replace it with a NOS pressure plate we unwrapped straight out of the
original WW2 packaging.
Both vehicles have had many thousands of dollars and NOS and original parts
put into them, yet here they are, still being used.
Perhaps it's a selfish attitude, but you only live once so you might as well
enjoy it to the max. After all, you're dead for a long, long time! :)

Steve.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au