Re: [MV] WWII JEEP TRAIN IMAGES

Bruce Gilbert (b.gilbert@uws.edu.au)
Tue, 05 Jan 1999 10:35:07 +1100

******

Hi folks

When I used the AWM search facilities yesterday, I simply used the words
JEEP TRAIN and the 1939/45 era, and got some good results.

I have not yet looked at the AWM search logic, but when I used JEEP TRAINS
(ie; "S" added) I got additional hits, with the lead image being of 3 (?)
officers listed as jeep train co-ordinators (or similar wording). I was
amazed at some of the payloads (towloads ?) coupled onto the jeeps.

In some earlier searches, I found my father's unit, including my godfather
from his unit (by name), but no name search on my father's name, although
some pictures of his unit playing hockey in the Atherton Tablelands, plus
others in action on Tarakan.

As is always the way, dad is no longer here to experience a communications
resource that we all could have only dreamed about 5 or less years ago, and
almost take for granted nowadays.

Just imagine if the troops shown in the numerous pages at the AWM could
readily tap into the pages, and email their comments/thoughts on one or
more pictures. I thing that nowadays historians would call it oral history;
perhaps cyber-history would be a better phrase. Picture Anzac day, after
the march, at one of the many reunions, with a series of AWM web pages open
for general searching by veterans (names/units/locations). No doubt many
would see pictures that they probably never knew were taken. It would be a
real experience for one and all.

Oh well, enough dreaming for one day, back to work.

Regards

Bruce Gilbert