[MV] Gulf war vehicles

Ranger3id@aol.com
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:27:58 EST

William von Zehle wrote:

>CUCVs (M1008) or visually similar Chevy pickups used by US and Iraq.
>T72s (and similar M80 used by Kuwait), BMPs, BTRs, M1984s (Soviet APC)
>used by Egypt and Syria (coalition) and Iraq.
>M113s used by US and Iraq.
>East German military cargo trucks used by Syria and Iraq.
>Panhard armoured cars used by France and Iraq.
>(The list goes on. No wonder there was so much fratricide!)

My unit (4/7 IN, 3rd ID attached to 1AD) also wound up with a Russian water
truck. Looked like a big ZIL, with six wheel drive, manual transmission, and
those big Russian "V" tread tires. All gauges and data plates had Cyrillic
writing, and while we could figure out how to fill the water tank (held about
1,000 gallons) none of us grunts could ever figure out how to operate all the
pumps and gauges. It was dropped off at the battalion field trains, prior to
ground day, with no explanation other than that some of our new European
friends had sent it along as a show of support. Wish I'd had the sense to take
a picture, although I did take it for a short spin around the AO. Figured that
out there even a 1LT wasn't too dangerous behind the wheel given the general
lack of trees and buildings to run into.

Chris DeWitt
52 M-38