RE: [MV] M1 Garand

OConnor, Dennis (DOconnor@SIKORSKY.COM)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:51:29 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Van Hoomissen
Subject: [MV] M1 Garand
At our MV meeting last night one of the members brought an M1... And wx it
is a good idea to pack these around in a parade. My initial impression is
that it would be problematic. Richard

Richard,
We, and everyone we associate with in MV's, has always made a point of
using only replica weapons in displaying MV's. Not a parade, display, car
show, or any other event goes by without several people asking about them
and each is reassured they are fake. You can visibly see them relax at that
point and I can only imagine the speed with which they would summon the
local constable if they heard otherwise. Even if they didn't call a cop they
would not have the impression we want to leave: accurate depiction of
history for education and enjoyment. Also, it's not unheard of for some
piece of gear to turn up missing when it's time to put everything away. So
many pieces not bolted down, so many people to watch and only so many eyes
to watch them. I would hate to have a dummy weapon lifted, much less a live
one. Leave it at home for the peace of mind.

Dennis O'Connor