RE: [MV] Importing to Canada

Greg Carter (
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:54:16 -0500


A while back I posted a message on Importing MV to Canada. Summarized below
is what I have found out:

- Don't listen to the person you call at Customs Canada who "thinks" you
don't need anything special. Believe me once a Customs officer actually
sees a Ferret (or any other armoured vehicle) the light bulb will go on and
unless you are prepared don't expect the vehicle to leave the dock.

- If you have ANY concerns that the vehicle may be controlled (i.e. it is
armoured, has any kind of weapon demil or otherwise) contact the Department
of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (
for a decision as to whether or not you need an import permit.
See and (sections
70-73) for a list of controlled items. You will need to prepare a
description of the vehicle, along with your intended use. After it is
reviewed you will receive back a decision as to whether or not an import
permit is required. This took about 5 working days for me to get. If you
require an import permit don't worry you have already done the hard part.
If you are shipping from overseas then you can probably wait until the
vehicle is on the boat, then have the customs broker you are using file for
the permit on your behalf. The DFAIT will issue your import permit within
hours (that's what I am told, haven't gone that far yet) since they already
reviewed your request. All military import permits are handled by the same
person so you don't have to worry about being lost in the bureaucracy. The
appropriate DFAIT number is 613-992-2387, then ask for military imports.
The cost of the permit is less than $30 based on vehicle worth.

- Duty - If the vehicle was made in a country other than the US or Canada
you will have to pay 6.1% import duty. Which when importing a 40 year old
armoured car seems a bit ridiculous, I guess they want to protect the
thriving Canadian armoured car industry. Also if the vehicle weighs over
2000 Kg there maybe an excise tax (By the kg!), however I was told the 4000
kg Ferret would not have any.

- Tax - You will have to pay GST at another 7%.

- Transport Canada. If you plan to license the vehicle for use on road you
will need to make sure that you get the appropriate forms stamped. The
customs broker should be able to handle this for you, however the form is
called "Vehicle Import Form #1". Make sure to get it stamped at the bottom
by Transport Canada, there is another area where it gets stamped by Customs.
You will need this form when you go to the provincial transportation
department to register the vehicle.

Other notes:
- Exporting from Canada. If you want to play it safe you should also get
an export permit when selling an MV to someone out of the country. Same
- Exporting from country of origin. Don't pay for the vehicle until the
seller has obtained an export permit. All countries are different, all I
know for sure is that for the UK the seller should contact the Department of
Industry and Trade. Plan for this to take months, then you wont be

If anyone else has any other thoughts I would love to hear them.
Greg Carter, Entrust Technologies

To unsubscribe from the mil-veh mailing list, send the single word
UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of a message to <>.