(Fwd) Re: [MV] FUEL???

David C. Barbieri (barbiedc@maadmin.marshall.tstc.edu)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:35:16 CST

Forwarded message:
From: Self <MAADMIN/BARBIEDC>
To: David_Russo@idx.com
Subject: Re: [MV] FUEL???
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:33:58 CST

Hi David -

Just a few minutes ago, you wrote:

> since many M35's have the multifuel engine, how about running Kerosine (K1)
> in place of diesel or #2?

Your diesel engine will run on Kerosene. Keep in mind two things:
1) the BTU rating of Kerosene isn't as high as Diesel. This means
the heat output (power) won't be as high. You _will_ notice the
difference in how the engine pulls. Don't get me wrong, it won't
turn into a complete slug, but there is a definite drop in power. 2)
Kerosene isn't as oily as Diesel. You'll need to add some lubricant.
Consider ATF (~ 2 - 3 qts per tankful). 'Course, on the positive
side, the gel point of Kerosene is much lower than #2 Diesel, so if
you're in the Frozen North, it's a big help. (However, when faced with
temps consistently below 10 degree F, I just add 5gal of unleaded
regular to the tank. Helps the gel point, and I don't have to worry about
lubricity problems.

> This seems like a classic solution, <snip> there may not be any
> provision in the law regarding the use of it as a motor fuel.

David, I don't know of any legal provision outlawing the use of
Kerosene. Might run it by your local DMV just to be sure. (I _hate_
surprises!) Hope this helps!

Dave Barbieri