Re: [MV] MV Radios

SBJohnston@aol.com
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:55:41 EST

Bill wrote:

>does anybody have any suggestions on restoring the little
>white engraved lines and letters on the military radios?
>I don't have a steady enough hand to hand paint them.

I use a product called "Lacquer Stick" which is available from Antique
Electronic Supply in Tempe AZ

http://www.tubesandmore.com

It is a bit like a white paint-crayon which you rub over the lettering, then
wipe the excess off, leaving the engraved lines filled with white "stuff". It
is durable and looks good.

Before I found these sticks, I used white enamel paint slopped on, allowed to
partially-dry, then wiped quickly with a solvent dampened rag. It sort-of
worked OK on glossy panels, but no good on flat or semi-gloss surfaces.

I've heard guys say they find "Liquid Paper" or "White-out" to work similarly,
but I don't think it would hold up on radios mounted on MVs outdoors.

Steve Johnston
sbjohnston@aol.com
http://www.qsl.net/wd8das