Re: [MV] Engine Year

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:41:31 -0500

>Glad to see this coming up again, I've been wondering how many there are
>with this combination. We're restoring GPW 71349, DOD 10-6-42 and it has a
>441-? engine. I'll get the rest of the engine number(s) next time I'm in
the
>barn. Would you like to collect things like the casting numbers as well to
>see if there is a common "lot" or something? We'd need Todd to decipher
>those numbers. I believe Damon Lehr has a combination like this too, which
>makes 5 '42 GPW's with Willys engines so far. Do you want to coordinate the
>data Joel or is there another list going we should add it to?

The 441 stamped engine is for the Willys 441 Americar. The engine Joel is
referring to has a GPW engine number stamped into the Willys block if I
remember right. (I don't think this will add any evidence to your theory.
I would love to see photos of this engine.) I wouldn't jump to conclusions
that the 441 engine was used in the GPWs because a few GPWs had them in it.
I have a couple CJ-2As with the same engine. The engine is an easy thing to
replace and odds are great that over the last 50+ years they probably were
replaced. But collecting the data and seeing if there are any patterns will
certainly help. The best way data point to collect is the engine assembly
dates. In your case, your GPW is a late '42. If your engine assembly date
turns out to be September 1940, the odds of it being originally in your GPW
are extremely slim at best.

Todd Paisley