RE: [MV] Engine Year

OConnor, Dennis (DOconnor@SIKORSKY.COM)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:00:02 -0500

Hi Mick,
>I do believe that Ford stopped using Willys engine blocks fairly early
>on. I have a Ford block, GPW 1319, which would indicate that by March 1942
>(at the latest) Ford was supplying their own blocks.
Absolutely, just like the Willys frame usage which went a little further
into the production (we have GPW 3101's remains which includes a Ford
stamped Willys frame).

>The block currently in your jeep is incorrect sir.
>From previous post: "We've always assumed it was a replacement ...Unless we
were shown proof, like factory order paperwork or something, we will
continue under this assumption." The only question would be "who installed
it?"

>Although that one will work in your GPW, I encourage you to perhaps one day
>find a correct GPW block if it so pleases you. I do believe Joel will
agree.
I believe Joel will agree too. There's already "a" correct GPW engine in the
barn - too bad it's not "the" correct engine.

Just stray thought...
If the 441 engine is "a", or "the", military installed replacement
from its' life in service (a possibility proposed so eloquently by Rob Root
in his last post) wouldn't that be more correct than just any GPW engine?
The folklore that came with the jeep says this was the engine in it when
surplused and has been rebuilt once since then (which explains the ribbed CJ
head). The previous owners were a garage, a farm, and an M37 man (who picked
it up to save it). All three knew (know?) each other and the story has
credibility.
I suppose what engine to use comes down to which point in the jeep's
life is the target of the project. If a "day it left the factory"
restoration is the objective then we'd need the original engine. Best
available after that would be a correct blank block stamped appropriately.
One step back further would be to use a correct GPW engine with the wrong
serial number. If going for an "in service","combat", or "as surplused" is
the target then the factory or any military installed engine (pre 1945)
would be correct. After that would be "in service after WW2" which leaves
the field wide open to include the Kaiser Supersonic (got one of those too,
with a military depot tag, in the GPW based jeep salad!)
Personal Opinion Time & Labeled As Such (no return hip shootin'
appreciated): If the military installed the 441 when the original GPW engine
failed then I will vote to use the 441 until the original GPW is found (and
the chances of that are almost non-existent). The 441 is in OK shape except
the crank (needs turning) versus the GPW in "as recovered from the leaf pile
in the forest" condition. Better to spend the money on restoring the
original tub for now. Engine and restoration targets can be debated later.

Enough semantics for now...please
Best Regards to All,
Dennis O'Connor