Re: [MV] M-38 Paint

Dave Cole (da_cole@csi.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:25:18 -0500

> Dave,
> Jeez, I didn't think there was anything provocative in my note. Sorry if I
> rattled you! I was hoping to get through the often repeated myths on these
> paints.

I think I understood your intent, but I couldn't resist replying when
you asked for opinions and then rejected it as "rhetorical evidence".
You have to admit there is some irony there!

>My personal suspicion is that people are brand loyal for various
> reasons that have little to do with performance of a product.
> It's easy to
> convince yourself that YOUR favorite is the best.

I disagree. I think that paint, if anything, is easy dismiss as
inferior. I haven't seen a whole lot of brand loyalty to paint that
doesn't work well.

> I'll admit that mil-spec
> paint is NOT a huge investment, but the prep work certainly IS.

No doubt.

> Some folks do go to the trouble of recording a lot of what they do,
> especially if there is a question. I guess I was hoping. Perhaps it is time
> for us to start gathering paint performance data somewhere as each person
> paints a vehicle? In a short time, there would exist a good data bank on the
> best choices, based on actual performance.
> One last thing...the most common flaw in mil-veh purchases is often the paint.
> I'm sure that you'll agree that there MUST be a wide range of performance out
> there, as one sees virtually every color of green and/or brown on older
> trucks. It would be nice to learn how this comes about, and how it might be
> "copied" if desired. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to paint a new fender and
> know it would weather to the truck's native color in time? Or, suppose you
> didn't wish your 5 year long WC project to look like it just came from the
> factory? Kinda ruins the diorama!
> I believe that military paint is one of the areas which bear more study. After
> all, tons of data have been accumulated on civilian paint products, and paint
> franchises have sprung up all over like mushrooms, but military vehicles
> typically get painted at the factory, and then just suffer touch-ups and
> field applications from then on. We don't know nearly enough about the paints
> and how they perform. Do we?

I think that there is a load of experience on this list. A lot of the
folks on this list have had MVs for decades. Some of them still have
the MV they restored in the early 80's and it has been sitting outback
under Arizona sun for 10 years. If someone has had a vehicle sitting
outside under the sun for 10 years and the paint has only slightly
faded, then I'd say that is pretty good paint. I don't know if you know
how the big paint companies do long term tests on paint. They have
fields of painted samples sitting outside attached to poles in places
like Florida and Arizona. Can't beat real life testing.

> As in any endeavor of research, only factual data should be accepted as proof
> of results, hence my comment about rhetorical evidence. It was not a slur
> about the writer. You can go on and on about how "Ford trucks are better than
> Chevys", yada yada yada, but the data may show differently. It's merely true
> that people tend to make statements like that for a lot of varied reasons,
> most of them based on their own limited personal experience, and not
> conclusive evidence. When you group the experience together with that of
> everyone else, an accurate picture begins to emerge. Comments?

I think you are making this too difficult on yourself. I'd recommend
this, FWIW.

1. Contact the manufacturers and ask for data, fade, impact data,
whatever. Chances are you will come up little short on real life data.
I don't think they want to tell you everything, since someone has the
best paint and someone doesn't.

2. Ask everyone you can what they think of brand x versus Y, who has
painted an MV with the paint. - You've sort of already done this.

3. Take it to heart. If a guy painted his M38 with brand X and it rubs
off, he is going to tell you about it. Probably in a very loud voice.

4. Keep in mind that surface prep and application techniques are key.
Anyone can take great paint and do a bad job. I know from personal
experience. (;->) But using lousy paint and doing a great job that
lasts is next to impossible.

Anyway enough of the rhetoric. (;->)

Dave