Re: [MV] M-38 Paint

John K. Seidts (john@astory.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:22:57 -0500

This is an
> email list... Exactly what kind of data are you looking for? What kind
> of photo's, before and after?? >>

How about objective, verifiable data about manufacturing history? What is
wrong with that?

> In a short time, there would exist a good data bank on the
>best choices, based on actual performance.

What is wrong with that? The last time I checked, the US Army wasn't too
finicky about painting its vehicles with the right color. So it is up to us
to make sure that the proper paint is correctly preserved. Or would you
rather let the makers of The Thin Red Line do your historical documentation
for you? I'm with Cougar Jack.

>One last thing...the most common flaw in mil-veh purchases is often the
paint.

Very true. Look at the M37 on our page. It's still a nice truck, just the
wrong shade of green.

You can go on and on about how "Ford trucks are better than
>Chevys", yada yada yada, but the data may show differently. It's merely
true
>that people tend to make statements like that for a lot of varied reasons,
(something about recording data)

Again I agree. You can't overlook the importance of data recording and
historical documentation in any restoration. I know banging your knuckles
is more fun than tapping on the typewriter. But history gets lost fast.
Our new Indian 841 motorcycle is shrouded in mystery. Why? Indian had
terrible records. What you write down now will really help the next guy in
his restoration.