Re: [MV] Painting in General

Ken (kweiss@wans.net)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:21:09 -0600

>Many (most) military paint is NOT water proof. They add silica to make it
not
>glossy. Whatever is under the OD must be waterproof from my experience.
>

>Steve

This is true. Most rust starts under the paint and by the time is shows up,
its done a lot of damage. I was told once to use an automotive paint first.
Any color from the miss mixed bin and pay as little for it as possible then
paint your O.D. over that. This way you have a waterproof paint layer
between the metal and the porous O.D. paint.

At least that's what I'm going to do when I get ready to repaint the XM211.

Ken Weiss
1953 XM211 2 1/2 ton troop/cargo truck "Deuces are wild"
1954 XM105E3 1 1/2 ton cargo trailer
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, and temporary Webmaster
Lone Star MVPA
Check out our new web site
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/pit/4393/index.html