Re: [MV] Can you MB lovers out there help?

John K. Seidts (john@astory.com)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 00:41:11 -0500

>And by the way, what's the difference between an MB and a G 503 ? Is that
>WWII / post WWII nomenclature? Mike

Mike,
This is a good case of misuse of nomenclature confusing the
unwitting. G503 is the numeric designation of the parts and supply list for
the MB/GPW vehicle. All WWII vehicles had a G number, which was given to
the vehicle by the War Department through a Standard Nomenclature List, SNL.
This was to make it easier to track parts stores. There were sub-groups
within the main group number for major components of the vehicle, such as
electrical system, engine, transmission. These were given further number
designations. Below these numbers, the part was given a parts number. This
nomenclature was supposed to be placed on tags of all parts, but not every
manufacturer followed this practice, even though they were responsible for
it. For example, the last part I picked up was a G179 0201 53205.
That was a G179 Weasel. 0201 Electrical group, part number 53205 dash light.

The g503 website has a list of these numbers, but it is not complete, and
may not be completely accurate. I think two of the motorcycle G numbers are
switched. But it is generally correct, and the only place I know to go find
this number list. Whoever put it together did a real service for those who
need to identify parts to at least the correct vehicle.

Some other common numbers- G502- WC 3/4 dodges, G507 WC62/63.