[MV] American Glider jeeps

Morgan Blanchard (bmorgan@gbis.com)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 13:47:28 -0800 (PST)

Howard:
I have never seen a removeable wheel on an American Jeep. The only
pictures I have ever seen of American jeeps in gliders they are in Wacos,
which truthfully are a lot easier to get a jeep out of than a Horsa Mk 1 or
Mk2. The point being that, because of the boxy nature of the Waco, you
don't need to make special modifications to the vehicle to get it in and
out. In fact you can sit a jeep crew in the vehicle and drive it out of a
Waco ready to go, a trick I would not sugjest you try in a Horsa. I do
know that the Americans used Horsas and Hamilcars upon occasion but the
Hamilcar was used for flying in light armoured vehicles and the Horsa was
used primarily as a troop transport.
From looking at several photos of American Glider borne jeeps,there
seem to be no special modifications to the vehicles and nothing has been,
uniformly, removed from them. Most of these pictures are from training
exercises and there were surely field modifications to vehicles, howerver
the British modifications are not field modifications. They are tactical
modifications undertaken on the division level and performed by the REME
shops on a (unit) standard pattern. This is evidenced by the fact that all
the British mods are in evidence during training exercises prior to combat,
and the simple fact that they are nessicary to get the vehicles into the
gliders at all.
For all these reasons, the modifications done to British A/B jeeps are
not appropriate for American Glider born vehicles.

Morgan