Re: [MV] Insurance underwriters?

Dave Cole (da_cole@csi.com)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:04:29 -0500

I went through this same thing with my M51 dump truck. I asked state
farm about insurance (they insure everything else I own) and they asked
what I was going to do with it.

I was honest, I said I wanted to haul some dirt and gravel to for my lot
and I would not be doing commercial hauling (big red flag that requires
a CDL since M51 GVW is over 40K lb loaded).

They said that is fine and quoted me $380 per 6 months for 25K worth of
liability only. I said no thanks.

Called a bunch of other guys and found Farm Bureau to be by far the most
cooperative. I told them the same thing, and they said for me it would
be $141/6 months for 50K worth of liability only and I can haul whatever
I want for as long as I want as long as it is for farm type use,
non-commercial hauling. I asked about my 1 ton truck and they said the
same thing, same rate for liability. These guys were very cooperative.
I don't have it insured with them yet, but I plan on doing so in the
next month. The mail insurance guys scare me. There are so many
clauses in the collectors insurance policies. I think that if I got in a
wreck with the M51 and crushed some car, they would ask if I was going
to a parade (no)? Yeah it was a gravel pit parade. Were you hauling
anything (yes). 10 tons of gravel - you are out of here. No insurance
- lawsuit time..... I'll pay the addition 100 bucks per year and sleep
at night. My goal this year is to make the OPEC guys happy, at 3-4 mpg
with the M51, they should be sending me a birthday presents, flower for
my wife, etc.

If the gas prices start to climb this spring, it's probably due to my
regular use of the M51. (:->)

Dave