Re: [MV] Winch Cable Loading

Dave Cole (da_cole@csi.com)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:44:58 -0500

3/16 seems a bit small for 3500 lbs. According to a chart I have 3/16
6x19 IWRC Improved plow steel wire rope has a breaking strength of 3200
lbs while regular Improved plow steel wire rope has a breaking strength
of 3110 lbs. (you don't want the rope to break, it can be seriously
unsafe) I'd seriously consider going to 1/4 cable which in it's lowest
grade on my chart is good for 5480 lbs breaking strength.

I have a 2500 lb electric winch which I regularly use with 3/16 cable,
but then I double line the winch when I have to pull more than about
1000 lbs. The 850 lb rating for 3/16 has a generous safety factor
calced in.

Dave