Re: [MV] Import of Military Vehicles

Winne, Jim (jwinne@nettally.com)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:31:03 -0500

Hi All;

If you want a good reason to own an MV that is a benefit to the general
population, here is a good one. The reason I can justify my M-715
"beautifying" my neighborhood is that I am an amateur radio operator and
belong to the Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) group in the Northern
Florida Section. We have a lot of hurricanes that come through this area,
not to mention the tornadoes of recent years. All of the members of our
group have made an effort to get a vehicle with 4 wheel drive that can get
into a recently devastated area and provide communications services to
state and local government until the normal relief agencies can come up to
speed. I notice that alot of you guys on this list are Hams. Believe me,
the only reason that there is a space in the radio spectrum that still
belongs to hams is because of the work that has been done by volunteers in
time of disaster. I work for the state of Florida and the legislature
passed a bill after hurricane Andrew to allow up to 15 days a year of
administrative leave if you volunteer in the wake of a disaster. The
pressure has been on ( by the clinton administration) to sell off the
radio spectrum to the communications conglomerates for BILLIONS (really!)
of dollars. All that has stopped this from happening is the our visibility
in time of need and public pressure. Look into helping out with public
service activities with your (highly visible) MV and spread the word why
you need one.

Sorry to be such a "wind bag" but it seems that everything I like or get
involved with is an endangered hobby.

Jim 1967 M-715 Kaiser Jeep cargo truck
1983 M101A1 cargo trailer
Amateur Radio Callsign KB4IVH