Re: [MV] Import of Military Vehicles

Sean Kelly (sean_k@hotmail.com)
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:17:32 PST

>From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 16:37:10 EST
>To: jwinne@nettally.com, dirtman42GPW@webtv.net, Dilliard@aol.com
>Cc: Mil-Veh@skylee.com
>Subject: Re: [MV] Import of Military Vehicles

I couldn't have done half as well as this myself; it did occur to me
while reading the letter that, with military recruitment taking it in
the shorts as bad as it is right now, those patriotic parades are
something we need more of.

Sean

>A COPY OF A LETTER TO CONGRESS
>BY A GOP CHAIR EMERITUS
>
>March 1st, 1999
>
>Honorable Wally Herger, MOC
>Sam Rayburn Building
>Washington, D.C.
>

>Dear Wally,
>
> Recently a few members of the Military Vehicle Preservation
Association
>explained a problem to me that I now want to bring to your attention.
It
>seems the BATF is suddenly not issuing the necessary permit or document
needed
>to import historic and collector grade ex-military vehicles.
According to my
>sources the BATF requires an importation form similar in nature and
purpose to
>the form required for buying a legal firearm. By not issuing a "form
6," the
>BATF effectively shuts down commerce on such vehicles.
>
> Of course these vehicles are not armed with any weapons and they
have been
>completely demilitarized as required by current federal law. Simply
stated,
>collectors and historians want to preserve a part of history and the
BATF is
>stopping them. You should know that many of their (mil-veh) projects
wind up
>in public museums. Some are used in patriotic parades and a few even
go to
>private display for various commercial purposes, including movie props.
But,
>in all this wide spread activity there has never been a single incident
where
>such a vehicle has been used for an illegal or dangerous purposes, not
once!

> It troubles me why the BATF has imposed this restraint without
public
>notice, without any public commentary or without open legislative
discussion
>on the matter? They simply said no and put a lot of people out of
business!
>I believe you and I are equally concerned about such unfair, if not
>undemocratic process as imposed by BATF.
>
> Whatever the source or reason for this silly action, it needs to be
>examined. I suspect this stupidity has its roots in the 1960's, where
>anything military was bad and anything that hurt the military was good.
Those
>radical 60's types are now in high places and as demonstrated by BATF,
are
>able to jerk people around thanks to their decades old misconpetions
and false
>prejudices. Little groups like the harmless MVPA are at their mercy.
The
>MVPA is organized as a 501 3-c non-profit organization and as a result
it can
>not even lobby on it's own behalf, so people like you and I have to do
it for
>them. Note, their membership is small in numbers, but there cause is
>compelling
>and worthy.
>
> Wally would you kindly look into this see what's going on?
Hopefully you