Re: [MV] 6V53 information wanted

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:50:49 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: jonathon <jemery@execpc.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 02 March 1999 03:56
Subject: Re: [MV] 6V53 information wanted

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Most common problem I know of was
carbon
>building up in the ports and with the constant pounding up then down,
>eventually you loose the sleeve seal (wet sleeve engine). One old guy
told
>me that the first thing you should do when you get into a rig with a
Detroit
>in it is to slam you fingers in the door. Get good and mad at it and
drive
>it that way, and it's live just fine.

That's interesting as the engine only has inlet ports delivering
hopefully well filtered fresh air from the blower, although a two-stroke
(cycle) the exhaust is by way of normal poppet valves.

>As to manuals, this is your lucky day. You can get all the manuals you
need
>from the same place. Just look up your friendly neighborhood DDA
(Detroit
>Diesel Allison) dealer. If your after Mil manuals don't bother. I had
>access to all of them and they were so voluminous (I think that's a
word?)
>that I could fill my trunk and then some. Lot's of paper and little
usable
>info.

Take heed of the lube oil spec, DDA only spec 10W-50 as a _third_ choice
and then for 32ºF and below only; detergent SAE 40 is the preferred
choice with SAE 30 second for temperate operation.

Richard
(Southampton UK)