Re: [MV] 6V53 information wanted

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:43:16 -0600 (CST)

>That's interesting as the engine only has inlet ports delivering
>hopefully well filtered fresh air from the blower, although a two-stroke
>(cycle) the exhaust is by way of normal poppet valves.

Yes, but do not the rings slide over those ports every stroke? If the rings
get packed up with carbon would not the carbon also be sliding across the ports?

I will retract my statement that this is "the most common problem". That,
perhaps was not worded correctly. The Detroits are as reliable as any
engine when used within thier acceptable operating range. When operated
outside of that range, such as excessive idling for loading at low rpm, the
above failure mode is one that we observed. While I do not own a Gama Goat
(someday!) nor have I any experiance with them, one of the mechanics that
came in to service our test vehicles told me that the best way to drive a
goat (3-53 Detroit) and have good engine life is to run it wide open, i.e.
pick the gear, floor it and just cruise along.

je

je