[MV] Re: Save the MV's! - letters

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:19:46 -0500

While I think that it is great that the MVPA lobbies Washington to
maintain free access to MV's for the public, don't let the lack of some
form letter become a cop-out to not writing your congressman.

I've written a ton of letters to Presidents, Congressman etc and have
found that being brief and to the point is most important. They don't
have time to read 5 pages of justification, how you feel about... They
want to know what you want, period. They generally don't read their own
email, they usually have a clerk read them and give them summaries on
what they are receiving as concerns. You count as one vote. Have your
wife do the same thing and you count as two!

Example:
_____________________
Dear Congressman:

I am very concerned about limitations being put on my rights to legally
own and maintain Military vehicles. As my representative, I want you to
do the following:

1. Fight to remove import restrictions on military vehicles.
These are
demilitarized vehicles that pose no threat to the community.

2. Fight to disband the BATF, they are a bunch of ........

Sincerely,

Patriotic Citizen
123 Military Blvd.
Anywhere, USA zip

Make sure you give your address, as that gives you credibility.

That's it. That's all that you need to do to tell them what you want.
Get the email address off the web site just posted, and do some cutting
and pasting and you can get out 10 emails to your US and state
congressman in no time.

Don't wait for an official form letter to do something! And don't wait
for the MVPA to hire some lobbyist to do the job for you.

Dave
M51