Re: [MV] Tires NDT versus ? off road

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 18:38:15 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Masse <mmasse@islc.net>
To: WreckerFC@aol.com <WreckerFC@aol.com>; mil-veh@skylee.com
<mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 06 March 1999 14:06
Subject: RE: [MV] Tires NDT versus ? off road

>> If you want a recomendation of a 15 or 16" MT that is excellent
>> in mud as well
>> as being damn good on the highway - try the Yokohama Geolandar
>> MT...
>
>Speaking of the Geolander by Yokohama, the tread pattern is EXTREMELY
>similar to the Michelin XCL tires used on British MV's. I really can't
tell
>them apart. Of course I've only seen the Geolander once in person.

Quite an amount of in-service MV's here up to 3 tonners are still to be
seen running around on bar-grips, the XCL with its arrow like pattern of
rhomboid blocks (if I'm thinking of the right thing) has a Russian
equivalent that has every other side-wall block missing making the edges
more like a huge motorcycle motocross tyre, the tread face blocks are
more spaced too.

These are apparently unbeatable and probably rarer than running Tiger
II's in the US however. When those frightfully nice government people
there let Mr. Littlefield have his Scud-on-a-truck you will see them
fitted thereon.

Richard
(Southampton UK)