RE: [MV] Mil Gen reliability/durability

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 18:05:04 -0800 (PST)

---Greg David wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of these 3kw gen-sets that came out of a M101A2
(mil-veh
> related topic);-) and I was wondering if anybody has found a
commercial
> equivalent in 12V to the mil 24V starter motor.
+++++++++++++++++++
Well, you could rewind the original starter, something any motor shop
could do. If you're using two batteries, cheap motorcycle batteries
should do fine. I use garden tractor batteries, they fit the holder
on the 10 Kw MEP-018A.

I would think that the
> starter motor must be of a pretty standard design and that there
would be
> one used on lawn tractors or civilian gen-sets. I'd like to have
electric
> start, but want to use only one battery and be able to easily charge
it or
> jump from a car. Also has anyone played around with supplementing the
> standard mufflers?
+++++++++++++++++++
I just put a tractor muffler on the MEP-017A but its still very
noisey. The cooling fan makes just as much noise as the engine, golly
what a whiner!!!

I take it our armed forces must build some pretty
> hardcore shelters to drown out the noise of these things.
I can't believe that any military force would make a machine that
makes so much noise to use in places where they might be trying to be
inconspicous.

Joe F.