[MV] Transmission Rebuild hints

Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:33:33 GMT

Don't know about a book but here's a few problem that I encountered when
I rebuilt mine. I had a hell--of-a time getting the tapered set screws
out of the shift forks (I think that's where they were). They have
splined heads and some pin head used a regular allen wrench that
stripped them out so nothing other than a ground down easy out would
work. To replace them you can buy new ones, at a obnoxious price, or
make your own. I went to the local hardware and got 6 regular set
screws, then ground off the short "L" off of the proper allen wrench. I
chucked the allen wrench into a hand drill, then inserted a set screw
into the allen screw. Then while holding the drill at the proper angle
to a grinding wheel you can turn your own. It took a few tries to get
the angle right they worked like a charm. Grind a little at a time and
quench in water so that you don't burn the temper out of the screw.
Pack the roller bearings, between the input and output shafts, with
grease so that the needle bearings don't fall out when you reassemble
them.
When you install the counter shaft put a loop of heavy string around
each end. Then you can lift it into position to slide the retaining
shaft in.
I don't use gaskets anymore, I use silicone sealer. Just make sure that
you clean every thing really well to remove oil and grease (I use brake
cleaner or lacquer thinner) and wait for it to "skin over" before
assembling.
Have Fun,
Buzz

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:57:40 EST, you wrote:
>Hi List
>I want to try and rebuild the transmission and transfer case myself, in
my '42
>GPW.
>I have not rebuilt a trans before. I have the manual, The Complete WW2
Jeep.=20