Re: [MV] Canvas top manteinance

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:12:08 -0800 (PST)

---ET =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lance=2DG=F3mez?= wrote:

> The problem may be that Thompson's changed their formulation several
years back. Thompson's used to be a solvent-based parafin wax
> coating. For environmental reasons they changed to a water-based
emulsion. This may be the reason they no longer recommend its use on
> canvas. When you create an emulsion, you add surfactants (like
soap) to suspend the oils in the water. Remember oil and water don't
mix.
> It may be these emulsifiers that cause it not to be recommended.
>
> (End of chemistry lesson).
> TED
Hmmm.............? Yes, I see on the label that the old stuff had
Petroleum Distillates and the new can has Aliphatic Hydrocarbons. And
that's the only hint as to what's actually in the
stuff.................scary!? I know it's made by Eastman-Kodak, too.

OK, where to find more information?

Joe F.