Re: [MV] M35 towing capacity?

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:15:52 -0500

I don't have any experience towing with my 5 ton yet, but in my
experience a typical truck (not taking into account power) is capable of
towing at least as much as the truck weighs when towing on a pintle hitch
of ball hitch. Hence if your duece weighs 13,000 lbs it should be able
to easily handle 13,000 lb of gross trailer weight when towing a tag
trailer. Make sure you have brakes on the trailer or else everything
else doesn't count. (If you can't stop does anything else matter?) If
you put a gooseneck ball in the bed of your duece or an inverted fifth
wheel, you should be good for at least 30-40,000 lbs of gross trailer
weight. (Assuming you have sufficient power for the hills and the hitch
and trailer can take it) A modified 30' semi trailer flatbed could be
useful! With the airbrake setup it could be a good fit. You probably
know this, but according to federal law, as a farmer, or someone in
agribusiness you don't need a CDL to operate vehicles over 26K lbs with
air brakes as long as you are not doing commercial hauling.

FWIW, my M51 dump truck is rated to tow a tag trailer of up to 30,000 lbs
gross.

Dave Cole