Re: [MV] M35 towing capacity?

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:04:09 -0500

FWIW,

Flat towing is a whole different situation. The problem with overloaded
tag trailers (pintle, ball hitch, etc) is that so much weight (15-20%)
is required to be put on the tongue to keep the trailer stabile, that it
upsets the balance of the tow vehicle. And this make for one scary
situation. I totally lost control of a 3/4 ton van pulling a 3000 lb
trailer with 8500 lbs loaded on it (about 11,500 total trailer - yes I
know very stupid in hindsight!). Went off the side of the freeway but
had no damage. Goosenecks, fifth wheels, etc don't have that problem
since they load the tow vehicle ahead of the rear axle and don't upset
the balance. That's why a 14K semi tractor can pull a 65K trailer.

I think the big problem flat towing another vehicle is stopping!

Dave